With the advancement in technology and easy access to smart devices and smartphones, the internet has revolutionized the way of working and has made our life easier. Today, the way we used to prepare for a job hunt has undergone a massive transformation thanks to job portals, social networks, and recruitment apps. Digitalization has revolutionized the whole process of searching and applying for jobs. Gone are the days when we used to look at the newspapers and circle out the jobs and then visit the offices for interviews with printed resumes. All you need to do is create your profile on these job sites, upload your resume, and then you can easily apply for the jobs.
Millions of job vacancies are posted on these job portals where you can apply to as many jobs as you want. You can apply to jobs with filters such as local job search and you can find opportunities near you
Unlike your parents who may have looked up newspapers for job listings, you have the luxury and ease of applying for jobs online with a much faster turnaround time. However, today the job market differs from what it used to be earlier. Nowadays hiring managers receive 100’s of applications for a particular job opening. To stand out among all the applications you need to have a strong profile backed with recommendations, certificates, and the relevant domain exposure.
Here are some tips to keep in mind before applying for a job.
- Updated Resume – Make sure your resume is updated with the latest work experience. Also, before applying for any job go through the job description and based on that alter your resume. For example, if you are applying for a digital marketing role, highlight the points in your resume that mention your experience in that domain in your previous/current organizations.
- Cover Letter – In addition to your resume, you need to have a concise and strong cover letter expressing your intent and summarizing your experience. These days employers receive dozens of applications. So, a cover letter helps employers get a sense of the candidate profile before looking at a more detailed resume.
- Company Background – Research about the company before applying or going for a job interview. So that you understand which direction you are headed into and you have a better idea of it, and you go prepared.
- Industry Knowledge – Do the proper research of the current trends in the industry you are interested in. For example, if you are applying for a marketing manager position, research the different marketing campaigns of the competitors.
- Portfolio/Sample Of Work – If you are in a creative field like designing, remember to keep your portfolio handy while going for an interview and share the links of your work sample while applying online.
- Linkedin Profile – Make sure your Linkedin and social media profiles are updated. Nowadays recruiters keep an eye on the Linkedin profile of the applicant. From the type of post, comments, work experience and certificates, everything is deeply analyzed.
No doubt today’s job market is highly competitive but at the same time, there are plenty of opportunities. All you need is a positive attitude and a strong professional image to land the job of your dreams.